Forget Botox, for beautiful skin and beautiful hair this winter, I swear by bone broth. Bone broth detox stands out with its thousands of virtues as an all-natural health and beauty remedy. It is a recipe that has been used in Chinese medicine for over 2,500 years. Long popular on the other side of the Atlantic where they are served in trendy cafes, these beauty elixirs have everything to seduce French men and women who want to take advantage of their collagen and protein intake.
Bone broth: what if it’s the best way to boost our collagen?
Vegetarians and vegans refrain from eating bone broth from chicken carcasses and bones, and boiled beef for several hours with vegetables and herbs (counting between twelve and forty-eight hours). But that’s also what makes them true collagen concentrates. This protein of natural origin, which has been used by the cosmetic industry for decades, acts as an anti-aging ally that works on skin elasticity, skin hydration and joint elasticity.
Concretely, a portion of bone broth around 250ml can contain up to 10g of collagen when a supplement capsule contains only between 0.5 and 4g. This is also the reason why bone broth is considered an excellent alternative to Botox, as it will help moisturize the skin and improve its elasticity. It will also contribute to the repair of the hair fiber by coating the outer layer of the hair and providing hydration. What helps reduce hair loss and stimulate its re-growth.
And as if that wasn’t enough already, bone broth is also loaded with vitamins, calcium, and glycine, an amino acid that has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and digestive properties.
So they will help detoxify the liver, boost the immune system or improve sleep quality. We will therefore especially appreciate consuming it in winter to make up for the slight decrease in the diet. If there are already ready-to-eat broth treats, there are a large number of recipes to prepare them at home.
How to make homemade bone broth?
We especially remember this recipe spotted on Sauvonsnotrepeau, which is relatively easy to make:
In order to make chicken bone broth, you will need:
- chicken carcass
- 2 carrots
- 2 green leeks
- 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar or a glass of white wine
- 1 onion, 2 cloves, 3 garlic cloves
- Parsley, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf…
- Turmeric, ginger and nutmeg
- Sea salt and pepper
- Place the carcass in a very large casserole dish
- Cover generously with cold water
- Boil for 15 minutes on high heat
- Skim the broth, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours
- The broth should be colored and clear
- Add raw vegetables cut into large pieces
- Add 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar (the acidity of the vinegar extracts minerals from the bones)
- Cover and cook over very low heat for 2 hours or more
- Add herbs and roots an hour before the end of cooking
- Turn off the fire and remove and dispose of leftover vegetables and herbs
- strain the broth
- Salt, pepper, the more gelatinous your broth makes during cooling, the richer it is in collagen.