A cheese that originated in Asia, tofu is still known to this day by the French public. How do you cook tofu? What kind of cheese to buy? Besides what is tofu and what are its advantages and benefits? We’ll answer all of these questions, before giving you a great recipe idea with tofu.
How to cook tofu – vegetarian recipe tofu with vegetables
What is tofu?
Tofu, also known as soy cheese, is a creamy soy product that is high in protein and low in fat, usually sold in blocks. Made specifically with soybeans, water, and a coagulant (or clotting factor), this vegan cheese is also an important source of iron and calcium. Even if it lacks flavor in general, tofu has the peculiarity of absorbing the flavor of all the spices, sauces, and pickles associated with it. Because of this variety and its nutritional value, this staple in Asian cuisine has become very popular all over the world. It is especially popular in vegetarian cuisine for the contribution of vegetable proteins to a rather poor menu. The possibility of making tofu at home is tempting, but if you do not have the time and nerves, you can buy it for a few euros in stores. Plain or spiced – the choice is yours depending on the recipe and your needs.
How do you eat tofu?
As mentioned earlier, tofu is like a blank canvas where you can draw whatever you want. It will absorb whatever flavor you want to give it. Replace the fresh cream with tofu, and you’ve got the protein sauce. In lasagna and gratin, tofu is ideal to replace soft cheese. And again, add to my breakfast smoothie, marinate in BBQ sauce and garnish, fry, grill and add to sautéed vegetables. There are so many great ways to prepare tofu. Otherwise, be aware that the latter has quite a few textures, which you will have to choose from.
- firm tofu for grilling or frying in a pan;
- Semi-firm tofu is perfect for recipes where you need crumbled or mashed cheese;
- silken tofu – ideal for pastries, sauces, and breakfast smoothies;
Tofu is sold in packets filled with water. Before cooking, drain and rinse the water and pat dry with paper towels. Or better yet, squeeze between two plates, just to squeeze as much as possible.
Many great ways to cook tofu
How do you cook tofu? Vegetable crispy tofu recipe
- 350 grams of tofu
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red pepper
To prepare the sauce:
- 60 ml sesame oil
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 60 ml ketchup
Crispy Tofu with Vegetables – Evening Snack
- Break the tofu blocks into small cubes.
- Place in a salad bowl and season with cornstarch, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until the cubes are well covered.
- Pour sesame oil into the bottom of a frying pan and heat. Put the tofu inside, pour in the soy sauce and let it brown on all sides.
- However, make the sauce by mixing sesame oil, cane sugar, and ketchup in a small bowl.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, and sliced red pepper to the skillet.
- Pour the ketchup into the vegetable tofu mixture and stir. Let the tofu absorb the sauce, then remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, garnish with green onions and sesame seed mixture. So ! All that remains is to taste.
Add soy sauce
Homemade tofu dressing
pour salt water