It’s too hot to turn on the stoves or oven. And that’s fine, this recipe doesn’t need it! All you need is zucchini, watermelon, herbs and a little patience.
It’s fresh, colorful, entangling the heat of summer evenings: Watermelon zucchini salad! The combination may seem counterintuitive to you, but don’t be fooled: marinated zucchini appetizers And the sweet touch of watermelon should delight your taste buds, as a main dish or as an accompaniment to a barbecue party.
The icing on the cake: The recipe is very easy and practical, requiring only a refrigerator and a little patience. Bon appetite !
Zucchini and watermelon salad ingredients for 4 people
- 1 cantaloupe
- 2 zucchini
- olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Thyme, basil and/or any other herb you might like (herbs de Provence, thyme, etc.)
- 1 bunch of pine nuts
- Small jar of pesto sauce
- salt and pepper as needed
- If you have pesto sauce in the fridge, you can also use it as a marinade: it’s so good!
Zucchini and watermelon salad recipe
- Cut the ends of the zucchini, peel and cut into thin slices. Reservation.
- In a plate, pour four tablespoons of olive oil.
- Peel and chop two garlic cloves and put them in olive oil.
- Add fresh mint, basil, and any herbs you like.
- Add pine nuts.
- If you want to add pesto, spread it over the zucchini slices.
- Place the zucchini slices on your plate. Cover with plastic wrap (plastic or washable, to avoid wastage), and stir while holding the dish tightly for 1 minute, to make sure the zucchini is well soaked!
- Leave to sit for at least 6 hours (overnight is preferred).
- When the zucchini is well impregnated with the marinade, you can cut the strips so that they are shorter.
- Cut the watermelon into cubes.
- Mix everything in a salad bowl, and add a little fresh mint or basil if you have it on hand. If you like, you can also add fresh feta or goat cheese.
And that’s it! Here’s an easy and fresh dish for this heat wave due to climate change.
Do you know onejirazo, the easy, fresh and transportable maki burger? Here is the recipe